Sunday, January 11, 2015

Front Window Photos

A lazy weekend at home both getting some cleaning done and getting over whatever was ailing me. Here are a few photos that I took from my front window:

Saturday was a rare, sunny winter day on Good Harbor Bay.

North Manitou Island is more visible during these winter months.

Sunday was cloudier, yet calmer than Saturday. The birds were out in force grabbing what food they could.

Our neighbor's bird feeder was quite the hot spot. Pigeons and a female cardinal both ate along side the blue jays at one point, who seemed to be content to fight among themselves rather than others. 

Our woods are full of woodpeckers, and I happened to catch this downy woodpecker digging for food.

Here she is at a better angle. It was hard to get a good photo...she wouldn't stop moving!


I saved my prized photo of the day for last. I saw this girl (or guy) flying straight towards my house. Her/His markings were instantly recognizable and I was SO excited to finally get a good photo:


We have a pair of bald eagles living with in a mile to mile and a half radius of our house. I had a close encounter with them on the beach one morning while I stopped on my run, and I've been able to find their nest. Up until this point I haven't been able to get a photo. Today this one graced us with her/his presence. 

I almost had a doubly good photo day. As I was photographing my downy woodpecker friend I heard the distinct *thud* *thud* of our resident pileated woodpecker. As I turned to find her/him and take a photo I saw her/him flee towards the back of our property. I WILL get a photo of that bird!

Despite the one missed chance, I had many "hits" and it would seem my weekend wasn't as "lazy" as I previously described it. Even more reasons I love living in Northern Michigan...

No comments:

Post a Comment