Sunday, January 17, 2016

"Day"te Trip Part 3

NOTE: This is a continuation of a blog post series that I began back in October. I wanted to finish what I originally started. I also enjoy looking back at summer photos during the winter :). Not exactly what I envisioned my first 2016 to be, but they are good memories to reflect on. Enjoy!

The third leg of our journey took us to yet another lighthouse--or more accurately, a set of lighthouses--that I've been eager to climb for quite some time. A half an hour of pleasant driving down Historic Route 23 took us through P.H. Hoeft State Park, just around Rogers City (home of the world's largest open pit limestone quarry!), and to the Presque Isle lighthouses.

I will admit, I wasn't as interested in visiting Old Presque Isle Lighthouse. It seemed small and rather insignificant. I fell in love with its charm, however, the second I laid my eyes on it.

The keeper's quarters look like a New England cottage. I haven't seen too many 1840's structures in the Great Lakes State! According to www.presqueislelighthouses.org, this lighthouse was build to guide mariners into Presque Isle Bay.

Looking at Crystal Point over Presque Isle Bay.

This bell has an interesting history. The plaque reads, "This bell was taken from the old Lansing City Hall clock tower when the building was torn down in 1959...It weight 3425 lbs. 60% heavier than the Liberty Bell...It was cast in 1896." You're allowed to ring it! I didn't know that at the time I was there, but definitely would have if I'd been privy to that information!

Light Tower

The keeper's quarters were awesome. It was quite clear that this building had been hand made. This random photo is here simply because I love this door.

There always seemed to be something to look at...and take note of those hand hewn beams. Can you imagine the amount of work that had to go into making them?

Must. Have.

A pleasant view from the second story. 

This piece of artwork was amazing to see. This is a hair wreath, also known as hair art, mourning hair art, or hairwork. Women would take locks of hair and weave and braid them into intricate pieces of artwork using thin wire. From the many resources I've skimmed online, it seems that these are more associated with being created when a family was in mourning; however, they were also created from the hair of living relatives. The plaque reads that this was donated by the post office in Onaway, MI.

The rafters of the keeper's quarters.

We found this old capstan outside along the pathway to the parking lot.Thankfully, there's no heavy anchor to hoist out of the water!

Although the views would not have been as impressive from this 30 foot tower, in hindsight I regret not climbing to the top. I instead opted to save my money for our next destination...

No comments:

Post a Comment