Sunday, July 13, 2014

Fireworks Extravaganza

Happy belated Independence Day!

It's been a while since I've posted but not because I haven't thought of it. Every time I think of posting I always get side tracked by something that needs to be finished. I've been trying to get caught up on all the house things that didn't get done when we moved in last October and also over the winter...I must say that it's nice to be able to sit and enjoy my home.

There was so much going on this past weekend I almost didn't know where to begin. Fireworks, air shows, festivals, good food....! I looked at the calendar and did my best to plan out what we wanted to do.

JULY 3

I love going to fireworks shows. Can't say why, I just do. There were so many to choose from around the area this weekend. We began our weekend extravaganza by going up to Leland, the closest to our home, for their fireworks show on July 3. We found a spot near the park for the show..unfortunately I didn't take any photos except this one of Bryan and me:

Double selfie while waiting for the fireworks! Woot!
They also have some other activities going on that we didn't attend, including patriotic sing-along in the village green in the evening before the fireworks. I'd like to try to go up there and check it out next year (who knows, I may discover something I can use!)

JULY 4

On July 4th itself there was, of course, a ton of things going on, most notably the beginning of the Cherry Festival in Traverse City. Now, I'm sure that the fireworks show was spectacular (the best around!) but going to downtown TC on a Friday, during a major holiday, and at the beginning of probably the most major event that the city hosts all year is not my idea of a relaxing 4th. Needless to say, I looked for other options. Enter: The Northport firworks show!

With all the people up there we were luck to find a spot to sit and even luckier to have this awesome view of the bay. As you can see, many boaters were on the water to get a good view...
...and were decked out for the holiday! But more on that later...
Sorry for the blurry pic...we were definitely crammed into Bay Side Park!
It was fun to watch the pre-show! Of course there were many setting off their own fireworks. These happened to be close but many could be seen up and down Old Mission Peninsula. We also saw what looked like a professional fireworks show, but I haven't a clue who was putting it on.
Let the show begin!



After the fireworks Bryan and I took some time to walk around and check stuff out...it definitely beat sitting in traffic forever!

Pre and post show entertainment! I heard their music before the fireworks, but didn't realize it was a live band.  I thought it was someone playing their radio super loud. (Sorry, I didn't catch the name of the band.)
My favorite part of the evening might have been the decorated boats on "B" Dock in the Northport Village Marine. Everyone looked like they were having a blast!

The entrance to the "B" Dock. Very patriotic!
Their flag reads "We Salute Naval Aviation"...lovin' the blue lights and flags!
Get this guy to "B" Dock!
Tried my best to get a panoramic shot...
I wish we would have been able to take a stroll down "B" Dock, but it was a bit crowded...I'll just have to get there a little earlier next year to check it all out!

And what kind of Independence Day would it be without a little grilling? ...this was a little difficult without a grill (we're getting there!) but we did the best we could! Earlier that day I picked up some hot Italian sausage from Suttons Bay's local grocer, Hansens. I've heard many rave about their local sausage, and I have to say it was a good choice. Last, I'd hoped to have strawberry short cake, but couldn't find ANY fresh strawberries anywhere because they were sold out! I remedied this ASAP, but I digress...

It was so much fun to be out there enjoying the holiday with everyone, especially for my first Fourth as a resident here. I'm looking forward to next year!

Good food, good entertainment, and great company! Is there a better way to spend a holiday?

No comments:

Post a Comment